April 5, 2018 Newsletter
Spring Conference Countdown
It’s just over 2 weeks away until 500+ delegates from the ski industry will take over the Chateau Lake Louise.
It’s not too late to join in – registration is still available.
A few reminders for those attending:
- Get your National Parks Pass. Annual passes can be purchased at MEC, or day passes can be purchased from the Parks kiosks.
- Review the events you selected to attend, and let us know if your plans have changed.
- The draft detailed agenda is available online.
Hope to see you there!
The BC budget speech on February 20 sent shock waves into the ski industry. Intended to curb urban real estate prices, the ‘unintended consequence’ of the so-called speculation tax froze capital investment and real estate transactions in multiple non-urban regions of the province. Led by CWSAA Chair Steve Paccagnan and BCY Division Chair Andy Cohen, a CWSAA delegation met with ministry officials including a receptive Minister Doug Donaldson. The delegation explained the direct negative impacts the perception of the tax was having on employment and tourism opportunities. It was a relief to see the Minister clearly understood the rural economy, and immediately committed to help resolve it. Thanks to the delegation, Minister Donaldson, Mountain Resorts Branch, and others, this message was ardently advanced to the Ministry of Finance through the following weeks, and on March 26 the government held a press conference to clearly defined the tax jurisdictions which exempted ski areas.
Cannabis Legislation will be a profile topic at the CWSAA spring conference. There are informative sessions dedicated to the future legislations impact for employers, as well as how ski areas may provide an environment consistent with guest expectations. A recent CBC news report highlights some of these considerations such as clean air policy in Quebec communities. The article is an excellent advance read for the discussions at spring conference.
OH & S Alberta
April 9th is the last day for submissions regarding Alberta OH&S workplace harassment and violence and joint health and safety committees.
Find out more and participate HERE.
At the CWSAA Spring Conference, CWSAA will introduce members to Ever Active Schools. It is a organization committed to the healthy development of children and youth by fostering social and physical environments by collaborating between the health, education, recreation and active living sectors. The benefits of Snowsports in schools offered by ski areas is a natural alignment with the mandate of Ever Active School. Scott Bailey will present at the Spring Conference on Thursday am (April 26) a specific snowsport module hat has been designed for schools – Ski, Skate & Slide. In this partnership, Alberta ski areas may carry the Ever Active Schools message to their local communities. Relationships with similar agencies in other provinces will be fostered.
Season Ending Reminders
- Skier visits: All Ski Areas are asked to report their skier visits by April 20 (or within 2 weeks of closing). A submission form is being distributed to ski areas by CWSAA.
- CWSAA Financial Analysis surveys will be sent later this spring to ski areas, directly from Ecosign. All ski areas are encouraged to participate, and only those making submissions receive the consolidated report. This is a critical management tool for ski areas.
Fall 2018 Meetings
Mark your calendars. The dates for the fall meetings have been set. Stay tuned early this summer for registration and hotel booking information.
- ASM Fall Division Meeting – Canyon Ski Area, Red Deer, Alberta – Sept 26-27, 2018
- BC-Yukon Fall Division Meeting – Sun Peaks, BC – Oct 1-2, 2018
Great Idea. This winter Big White actively promoted the Alpine Responsibility Code in its local marketplace. By doing so, the ski area increases the sense of safety and knowledge of Snowsports within the general population as well as patrons. This positive general awareness is important to our industry future and how Snowsports are regarded. Kudos to Big White.
Welcome – New CWSAA Members
CWSAA is thrilled to have ten new/returning Associate Members join in the past couple months. Please help welcome the following new members, many will be in attendance at the spring conference.
Recently several announcements were made regarding major infrastructure investments.
- Big White – Replacement with new Quad for Powder Chair, expanded tunnel and more. News Release.
- Sun Peaks – New chair, Grand hotel full remodel and more. News Release.
- Panorama – Engaging Replay Resorts to undergo a long-range vision plan. News Release.
- Whistler Blackcomb – New Gondola to replace Blackcomb Wizard and Solar chairs, replacement of catskinner triple to high speed quad, and new 6 passenger lift in the Family Ski Zone. News Release.
- SilverStar Gondola completion – started last summer, will complete this spring. News Release.
Please be sure to include us on your media distribution lists and let us know if you have any news to share with the industry.
The Canadian Ski Council (CSC) accelerated and refined its focus on developing new skiers and riders in Canada at national meetings at Big White in March. Riglet Snowboarding in Schools, national exposure for Snowsports on Parliament Hill, and expanded marketing for Grade 4/5 snowpass and Never Ever Days are all part of the exciting year to come.
After 21 years as the Chair for the School of Tourism and Hospitality at Selkirk College, Bob Falle has announced his retirement. Bob started at Selkirk College in 1990 and taught in the school until 1996 when he became the department head. When asked what his plan is in retirement, he said, “I plan on doing contract work in the Ski Industry and Education field.” Congratulations to Bob and thanks for all of your hard work, dedication and passion in the ski industry.
Boyne Resorts has announced it plans to buy the lease for Cypress Mountain, which it has operated under a sublease agreement for sometime.
- April 18-20, 2018 – Mountain Planet International Mountain Development Fair, Grenoble France
- April 24-26, 2018 – CWSAA 50th Spring Conference & Trade Show, Lake Louise AB
- April 24 – 26, 2018 – PNSAA, Bend OR
- April 30, 2018 – HeliCat Canada Spring Meeting, Penticton BC
- May 3-6, 2018 – NSAA National Convention, Florida
- May 7-10 , 2018 – RMLA, Grand Junction CO
- Sept 26-27, 2018 – CWSAA ASM Fall Division Meeting, Canyon Ski Area, Red Deer, Alberta
- Oct 1-2, 2018 – CWSAA BC-Yukon Fall Division Meeting, Sun Peaks, BC
- Oct 28-29, 2018 – SSAOA, Springhill Winter Park MB