Patrol - Avalanche Forecaster
Location: Mt. Washington Alpine Resort
Employment Type: Seasonal Winter Full Time
Reports To: Patrol Director/Senior Avalanche Forecaster
As a key member of our ski patrol team, the Avalanche Forecaster supervises daily avalanche control and operation, collating and documenting daily weather observations, directing other staff in the collection of snowpack data and determining stability, hazard and risk ratings for the ski area.
- Determine and report stability of the controlled recreation area.
- Coordinate, command, and control blasting operations.
- Coordinate command and control all avalanche rescues and provide ongoing training to all patrol staff in avalanche rescue.
- Coordinate, command, and control all area closures and openings for all mountain user groups.
- Assist with other departmental operations as directed.
We offer great benefits! Season’s pass, retail discounts and more. Please see our website for more information: https://hr.mountwashington.ca/
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- CAA Avalanche Operations Level 2.
- WorkSafe BC Blasting certification.
- 80+ hour advanced first aid course certification (preference given to OFA level)
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Ability to lead all aspects of avalanche rescue.
- Well versed in meteorology.
- Physically able to stoop, bend, lift, stand, and work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Able to ski in expert terrain.
Preference will be given to candidates with these additional qualifications:
- Post secondary education related to the tourism industry or relevant experience.
- Previous patrol and snowmobile operating experience.
- Mountaineering / backcountry travel experience.
- Rope handling certification.
- Knowledge of our ski area and operations.
- Supervisory experience.