Job Title: Free Groomer
Location: North Vancouver
Department: Mountain Operations
Reports to: Duty Manager
Role Status: Full time – Seasonal – Hourly
Grouse Mountain offers a challenging and enjoyable work environment with a world of career opportunity. Our team is dedicated to Grouse Mountain's renowned excellence and its continued growth as Vancouver's premier mountain resort. In exchange for employee excellence, we offer a professional atmosphere, fantastic growth opportunities, unlimited outdoor recreation (including skiing and snowboarding) an inspiring setting and many unique employee privileges.
Scope of the job:
As a Free Groomer, you are responsible for the safe operation of the grooming machine as well as the daily grooming operation of the Grouse Mountain downhill runs, terrain parks, road ways, lift ramps, snowshoe trails, sleigh route and other staging areas. Under direct supervision from the Senior Groomers and the Mountain Operations Duty Manager, Free Groomers also assist with special event preparation and work closely with the Snowmaking department to maintain proper snowpack around the hill.
- Safe operation of the grooming machines
- Free Grooming of downhill runs
- Assisting with grooming and maintaining of four Terrain Parks
- Road building
- Lift Ramps
- Staging and crowd control area building and maintenance
- Snow removal around all buildings and areas
- Grooming snowshoe trails
- Filling out maintenance and operational logs
- Regular Cleaning and some maintenance of snow cats
- Special event preparation: i.e. races, snowboard events, snow sculptures
- Maintaining sleigh route
- Working closely with snowmaking department to maintain proper snowpack on our runs
- All other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Two year’s grooming experience
- Avid snowboarder or skier who rides/skis terrain parks regularly and is at a high level
- Previous snowmaking experience an asset
- Experience operating heavy duty machinery an asset
- Must be able to work unsupervised and co-operate with others
- Must be dependable and able to work in adverse environmental conditions
- Groomers perform some of their duties outdoors and may work in all different kinds of weather conditions.
- Hours of operation are weather dependent. Due to the nature of the business, this position requires flexibility in terms of your work schedule. A variety of work schedules may include rotation of shifts, day/evening shifts, graveyard shifts, weekends and statutory holidays.
- Shifts require siting for long periods of time, lifting, twisting, shoveling, and other forms of manual tasks.