JOB DESCRIPTION: General Manager
Reports To: President
Reviewed: June 2020
The GM is responsible for developing the strategy and implementing the operating plan for resort operations. The GM is expected to: grow revenue and profitability of the business consistent with the long term strategic plan; build and develop the business unit’s management team to provide the necessary expertise to ensure the long term success of the business; and to take a leadership role in the community and for tourism development in North West BC.
Overall the GM is responsible for delivering a high level of Guest Service consistent with quality resort operations and to ensure that the Guest experience is excellent. The GM will ensure there are high grooming standards for the trails, consistent reliable lift operations and quality food and beverage experiences. They are also responsible for developing new business, new markets and for finding ways to enhance the Guest experience.
- Work closely with the Management team on all financial, operational, marketing, human resource and business planning of the company.
- Develop an annual operating plan for the business, articulates financial and operational objectives and converts those into individual goals for the team.
- Create an environment where all team members are held fully accountable for meeting performance requirements and building the competencies in their respective functions.
- Ensure best practices in key processes are continuously implemented throughout the business
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, vendors and stakeholders.
- Review Guest comments and feedback to ensure operational issues are addressed.
- Inspect inside and outside operational areas on a routine basis to ensure guest experience and employee engagement is consistent and continually improving.
- Ensure management team communication is clear in regards to goals and expectations, while ensuring each department takes responsibility for outcomes.
- Meet weekly with Management team to ensure delivery of operational plans.
- Lead capital and maintenance planning to ensure downtime is minimized and projects are completed on time and on budget.
- Maintain and develop standard operating procedures to ensure guest and team safety, improved guest experience and emergency response procedures.
- Manage the business to profitability within the agreed parameters and budgets.
- Develop and implement succession plans.
- Ensure compliance with WCB and Technical Safety BC regulations.
- Carries out other related projects as assigned.
- Education: Degree in Business preferred or related experience
- Experience: At least 5 years in senior management roles with profit and loss responsibility; preferably in resort business or directly related type of Guest focused business.
- Proven track record to develop and implement strategic and operational plans.
- Decisive, collaborative background with a team oriented approach to growing businesses.
- Confident, self assured, persuasive.
- Excellent customer relation skills and ability to provide a high level of service.
- Good written, oral and presentation skills.
- Excellent solid networking and relationship building abilities.
- Enjoys challenges and tends towards creativity more than being entrenched with routine and tradition.
- Willing to live in Smithers, embraces the business and eager to champion the resort.
- Must be able to ski or snow board to Intermediate level
Interested candidates are invited to apply by email to [email protected] attention Jean Morgan.
This position is open to all applicants until the end of day on July 31st, 2020