At Tyax Lodge, rugged, glorious wilderness meets luxury. The resort is readily accessible by ground or air, yet remote enough to ensure a truly genuine wilderness experience. Resting on the shores of Tyaughton Lake in the heart of the southern Chilcotin Mountains of BC, our resort serves as a base for unparalleled world-class heli skiing, mountain biking, horseback riding, paddling, fishing and hiking.
As the visionary at the helm you will build your team, build the brand story, invigorate and reposition the resort, and manage the overall operations. Your team will create unforgettable guest experiences and outperform expectations, while cultivating an environment of warmth, hospitality, and inclusiveness for staff as well as guests. Visitors will dream of the next time they can experience Tyax and rediscover its magic. It won’t be easy, but we promise a fun, expansive and fulfilling career adventure.
Departments reporting to the GM: Sales & Marketing, Guest & Employee Experience, Finance, Food & Beverage, Housekeeping, Operations, and Maintenance.
Reports to: Owner’s Board, supported by a local team.
How we measure success in this role:
- A Strong Team: creating a high-performing service culture with strong employee engagement. Having top talent in the right roles at the right time, and cementing our status as an employer of choice in BC.
- Smooth Operations: ensuring safety and compliance as well as managing operations to maximize efficiency. Ability to lead up and down with confidence and preparedness, utilizing specialists and contractors as required.
- Financial Performance: ability to exceed challenging budgets, driving occupancy, average trip length, average customer value. Refining margin, controlling the cost to deliver the Tyax experience.
- Guest Experience and Public Perception: success in guest satisfaction and loyalty. Elevating the guest experience and securing referrals and return visitation. Creating a brand and Summer/Winter offering that is the envy of our industry. Opportunity to create new experiences for shoulder season.
Our ideal candidate:
- An outdoors, nature and adventure enthusiast.
- A connector and relationship builder - loves to host and delight others, creating memorable experiences.
- Motivated and knowledgeable around developing revenue strategies and positioning a business for growth.
- P&L responsibility. Experience in budgeting, forecasting and achieving targeted revenues and margins.
- Solution-focused and collaborative leadership style, with proven track record of coaching and harnessing team.
- A relentless approach to establishing key success metrics for the location, yourself and your team.
- Experience with human resources concepts relating to hiring, coaching, performance management and employee development.
- The ability to quickly assess the most urgent and important areas to apply resources and direction, to effectively manage and prioritize your time.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and genuine self starter.
- Ability to be on site* at lodge location to ensure the high functionality of the team.
*Length of time on site will be determined by GM and demands of the role.
- Post-secondary education in the field of Hospitality, Business & Commerce, Leadership, Tourism & Recreation or equivalent is an asset.
- Minimum of 10 years proven & progressive management/leadership experience.
- Accountable for overseeing the development of annual and on-going sales, marketing and business development strategies.
- Remain informed and responsive to our competition, industry trends & best practices.
- Collaborate with the onsite leadership team to develop pricing and promotion strategies to increase revenue and yield.
- Responsible for building community and leading and managing relationships with the team as well as outsourced agencies, partners and vendors.
- Support the execution of the marketing strategy, making real time adjustments as/if required.
- Develop and integrate a guest service strategy across all departments, ensuring that every team member understands their role in creating unforgettable experiences.
- Quality assurance of all products & services; soliciting guest feedback, analyzing results and actioning change.
- Long term and short term planning to prioritize scheduled building maintenance, and capital project plan.
- Sharing business results and key metrics with department leadership in a way that motivates, creates accountability and commitment to results.
- Understand and routinely assess the key businesses and financial metrics, actioning changes and follow-up.
- Project management, including, contractor procurement and contract administration for large scale and/or complex maintenance and capital projects (renovations, systems overhaul, equipment purchases etc.).
- Oversee safety strategy, inclusive of licensing and permit renewals.
- High level risk management, inclusive of insurance renewals and incident assessment and reporting.
- Maintaining necessary tenure permits, approvals and reporting to governing agencies with respect to environmental and land use agreements.
- Lead location business planning sessions, inclusive of all functional areas/departments.
- Coach all direct reports (management) in the creation of personal objectives in alignment with the goals of the business.
- Attendance at and contribution to departmental meetings, routinely maintaining visibility on the front lines.
- Leading the recruitment process for all key management roles.
- Regular coaching and feedback to all direct reports, assessing areas of excellence as well as skills gaps. Supporting relevant training/development opportunities.
- Managing high level progressive discipline, where necessary, in accordance with BC Employment Standards and industry best practices.
- Maintain a formalized performance management system for all Direct reports.
- Culture building - Inspire and engage each member of the team around our mission and values.
Apply today to: [email protected]
We thank all applicants for connecting with us and considering Tyax as an employer; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.