The Head Chef serves as a leader, coordinating kitchen activity and delegating roles. The Head Chef will manage kitchen staff, scheduling and staff training when required and is also responsible for enforcing food hygiene protocols and managing food supplies.
The role will assist the Executive Chef by directly supervising food production, planning and costing of daily specials. Assists with all food production tasks and ensures that established quality and cost standards are consistently attained.
- Certificate of Completion or Journeyman papers from an approved Culinary Institute
- 3-5 years’ experience in a high volume operation or similar role.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Knowledge and experience in menu planning.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling techniques.
- Ability to plan work schedules and assign duties; ability to provide or arrange for training.
- Ability to develop and test recipes and/or techniques for food preparation/presentation.
- Mentoring apprentices
- Skill in cooking and preparing a variety of foods.
- Ability to work in a Team environment
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in Hiring, training, and supervising the work of food and pastry production staff.
- Assists in planning menus for restaurant location considering customer base, popularity of various dishes, holidays, costs, and a wide variety of other factors.
- Schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks, and other kitchen employees to ensure that food preparation is economical and technically correct.
- Conducts regular physical inventories of food supplies, and assesses projected needs.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation and cleanliness are maintained throughout the kitchen areas at all times.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
- Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation, and accident prevention principles.
- Assets in developing and testing recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to ensure consistent high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control over all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
- Consults with Executive Chef about food production aspects of special events being planned.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Evaluates food products to ensure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Maintains at all times an open and professional dialogue with the Executive Chef, F&B Manager, Assistant F&B Manager, F.O.H Supervisors, Culinary Staff and Servers
- Attends all staff meetings
- Endeavors to surpass guest expectations
- Will never say no to a guest request without an alternative being offered.
- Must show an appreciation for the needs/requirements of senior management and other departments
- Responsible for all disciplinary action up to the verbal warning level. Will work with the Executive Chef or F&B Manager should further action be necessary
- Will be flexible with days / hours worked in regard to business levels ect.
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 4 hours in length.
- Ability to lift 11kg (25lbs) regularly.
- Must be able to push and pull equipment of various sizes and weights
- Must be able to kneel, bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill tasks.
- Requires grasping, standing, walking, repetitive motions, hearing ability and visual acuity.