go2HR is BC ‘s tourism and hospitality human resource and health and safety association.
Our purpose is to drive strong workforces and safe workplaces that deliver world-class tourism and hospitality experiences in BC.
Our mission is to empower employers to have a strong human resource and health & safety culture that supports strong business performance.
- We offer programs, tools, information, and consulting services to elevate employers’ human resources and health and safety practices.
- We educate and train the current and future workforces.
- We inform government, stakeholders and communities on labour market conditions and strategy.
BC’s tourism industry is a vibrant, $20 billion industry that is one of the major drivers of the provincial economy. However, the COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted tourism businesses. There has never been a greater need for support related to health and safety in the workplace. The services offered by go2HR play an important role in helping the tourism industry address workplace health & safety concerns. To meet the high demand for these services, and in line with our strategic priorities, we need to add another talented, experienced Health & Safety professional to our team.
Reporting to the Director, Industry Health & Safety, the Industry Health & Safety Specialist provides occupational health and safety (OHS) support and resources for tourism & hospitality employers across the province. This role requires a balance of strong technical OHS skills combined with excellent interpersonal, communication, and stakeholder engagement skills.
If you are an experienced OHS professional (preferably within the tourism industry) who enjoys working directly with stakeholders and a highly engaged, professional OHS team, this may be the opportunity for you!
As the Industry Health & Safety Specialist, you will be involved in a range of activities, including:
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with industry stakeholders – employers, industry associations, destination marketing/management organizations and WorkSafeBC
- Respond to inquiries and advise employers on OHS-related matters
- Promote go2HR’s health & safety programs to the industry
- Collaborate with IHS team members to develop, organize and deliver industry events and projects (e.g. OHS presentations, forums, webinars, surveys), on time and on budget
- Maintain current knowledge of Workers Compensation Act and OHS Regulations, consult with industry and other stakeholders on emerging issues
- Identify and recommend opportunities to expand go2HR’s OHS training programs, services, events and resources to meet the needs of the industry
- Assist with the management of the COR program, including carrying out COR Gap Analysis for employers
- Maintain and continuously improve educational resources; develop and facilitate OHS training programs
- Participate in various OHS committees, including go2HR’s IHS Program Steering Committee, various Technical Advisory Committees (TACs) and external committees (e.g. NAOSH Week Steering Committee, Employers’ Forum) as needed
- Contribute to the ongoing assessment of the IHS program performance by tracking metrics, contributing to annual reports and benchmarking the program offerings
- Contribute to the development of annual IHS workplans/business plans
Requirements for this role include:
- A passion and commitment to delivering high-quality health and safety support and resources that will meet customer needs
- Completion of post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate in OHS
- ProfessionalOHSdesignation (e.g.CRSP)orworkingtowards, is preferred
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience in an OHS-related capacity; preferably within the tourism and hospitality industry
- Demonstrable experience in building partnerships and networks with key stakeholders to establish positive long-term relationships
- Practical experience with safety management systems and injury management/return to work practices
- Previous OHS auditing experience, and/or experience in the Certificate of Recognition (COR) program is preferred
- Comprehensive understanding of BC Workers Compensation Act and OHS Regulations
- Experience delivering OHS consultations - feedback, guidance & support to stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills; proven ability to influence, gain cooperation and build relationships with a broad range of stakeholders
- Exceptional listener and communicator; oral and written
- Proven skills in program and project management, resource development, meetings facilitation, training and presentations delivery and data analysis
- Self-starter, works well in a team and independently with minimal supervision
- Proven time management and organization skills
- Strong planning, organization and time management skills. Able to effectively monitor and maintain progress toward individual and departmental objectives, ensuring delivery of high-quality results
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office and virtual meeting platforms (MSTeams, Zoom, Webex)
- Willing and able to travel throughout BC (valid BC driver’s license, reliable vehicle)
The go2HR team is current working remotely. This can be a home-based position (based on location). However, travel to the go2HR office (downtown Vancouver) and around the province will be required (as COVID-19 orders and restrictions permit). Preference will be given to candidates who are located within the Lower Mainland, Sea to Sky Corridor, Fraser Valley or Vancouver Island.
go2HR is an inclusive workplace and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. We offer attractive compensation, benefits and ongoing professional development.
Job Application Process:
If you are keen to work with a highly collaborative professional team in a sector that exists in almost every community in the province; to travel to parts of our beautiful province that you may not have been to before; and above all else to help build safe workplaces in our industry, please send your resume and cover letter (please mention IHS Specialist in the Subject line) to [email protected]