Apex Mountain Resort is located in the Okanagan Valley, 30 km's west of Penticton, BC. Currently the operational season is winter, however summer operations are in the plans for the future.
The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the operations of: Lift Maintenance, Lift Attendants, Grooming, Snowmaking, Ski Patrol, Terrain Parks, Tube Parks, Village Maintenance, Snow Removal, Ice Maintenance, Summer Hill and Trail Maintenance, the Water and Sewer Utility, Snow Safety and Accident Investigations among other various duties related to mountain operations.
The Operations manager provides leadership, management and direction for departments within mountain operations. This person will be directly responsible to ensure the overall success of the company associated with the following; operations of all lifts and machinery, accountability for daily operations, future planning, strategizing on mountain improvements to meet our guest expectations, employee satisfaction and performance, staff development, financial results which include expense and labor management in accordance with budget requirements, and compliance with all governmental regulations.
The Position and Objectives:
- Hire, train, mentor and evaluate the operations team, while maintaining a high level of morale
- Create, monitor and manage departmental budgets and business plans
- Plan and implement projects identified in operations and major project budgets
- Ensure the OH&S program meets compliance
- Be responsible for Work Safe BC issues and policies
- Maintain customer satisfaction through service and delivery of on hill product
- Responsible for all mountain environmental issues
- Find ways to improve operational efficiencies within departments
- Provide leadership, training and mentoring to staff in the creation of a positive working environment
- Be responsible for all utility services including planning, maintaining and compliance
- Coordination of terrain requests between clubs, events, special programs and public needs
- Direct project management of outdoor construction including but not limited to: snowmaking pipeline expansion and replacements, terrain modifications and general improvements to the resort
- Purchasing equipement and parts for preventative maintenance in all mountain operation departments
- Liase with the mountain manager and all departments for the overall success of each department
- Maintain budget goals and identify savings for each department managed
- Manage water and sewer rates and maintain the utilities to a high standard
- Monitor machine costs and implement plans on future costs and upgrades
- Develop snow removal plan and strategies to deliver well maintained parking lots, driveways and safe walking conditions
• Collaborate with the Mountain Manager, Lift Mechanics, Lift department, Snow Safety, Grooming, Snowmaking, Ice maintenance, snowplowing, Trail Crew and Terrain Park teams on a daily basis to ensure effective management, and the overall success of each department
• Direct coordination of all managed departments regarding the management of wage and materials budget
• Accomplish positive staff results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching employees; enforcing policies, developing and coordinating procedures, and productivity standards.
• Support and coordinate departmental programs such as meetings, training, external partners and events
• Ensure the highest level of service and safety is achieved for our staff and guests through analyzing and resolving problems, identifying trends and recommending process improvements.
• Sustain and develop knowledge and understanding of best practices, industry standards and existing legislation and standards set out by governing/regulatory agencies including WCB, OH&S and Employment Standards. Also including, Canadian Avalanche Association, CWSAA, Explosives Regulatory Division
- 10 years experience managing both people and projects
- Previous experience with mountain operations including: lift operations, grooming, terrain parks, patrol, tube park, utilities and snow clearing
- 5 years' experience as a high-level decision maker in a large organization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Expertise in negotiating contracts and agreements
- Familiarity to Work Safe BC, Occupational Health and Safety
- Proven leadership skills in a resort setting
- Possession of a trade ticket such as a heavy duty mechanic or millwright
- Experience overseeing a utility an asset
Apex Mountain Resort offers industry competitive compensation and benefits in a great working environment. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume with cover letter to James Shalman [email protected]