Marmot Basin, located in the heart of Jasper National Park, is the northernmost Rocky Mountain ski area and has the highest base elevation of any major ski area in Canada. Nature delivers more than 400 centimeters (160 inches) of dry, light Rocky Mountain powder snow annually. Natural snow, combined with a state-of-the-art snowmaking system, guarantees great conditions all season long. With 696 hectares (1,720 acres) of skiable terrain and seven modern lifts, Marmot Basin attracts an average of 220,000 visits each year, offering skiers and snowboarders a wide variety of runs, from novice to expert, on five mountain faces.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an established leader in the ski industry to maintain and expand the success of an iconic Rocky Mountain ski destination. Reporting to the Chairman of the Board, the CEO will assume overall leadership for all aspects of Marmot Basin’s diverse business units, which include food service, equipment rental, snow school, retail and daycare, in addition to the ski operations. Working closely with department heads, the CEO will create and execute strategic plans that maximize opportunities and efficiencies, while fostering a culture based on accountability and excellence.
- Provide strategic and tactical leadership to the organization that results in the highest levels of safety, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Lead the day-to-day operations and oversee all functional area activities to ensure alignment with strategies and objectives.
- Provide leadership and direction to the management team, ensuring clarity of expectations, effective performance management and ongoing communication.
- Work with the VP Marketing & Sales, Controller and department heads to capitalize on opportunities to maximize revenue centers.
- Work with sales, marketing and external partners to identify new regional and international business opportunities.
- Direct short-term and long-range planning and budget development to support strategic business goals.
- Work in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders to enhance the company’s success and sustainability.
The Ideal Candidate
As the ideal candidate, you are a seasoned and senior executive with a deep, hands-on understanding of all aspects of the ski industry, from operations and finance to marketing and business development. Confident and outgoing, you are a collaborative leader with superior business and financial acumen. A problem-solver by nature, you remain calm and focused under pressure, identifying solutions that improve visitors’ experiences and bottom-line results. Known for your honesty, integrity and humility, you have earned the respect of those you have reported to and engendered loyalty from the teams you have led.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 10+ years of senior leadership experience in the ski industry.
- Demonstrated success in managing operational, financial and strategic responsibilities.
- A strong ability to identify and resolve internal and external challenges that impede success.
- Ability to cultivate effective working relationships with the Board, employees, Parks Canada, local businesses and other key stakeholders.
- Exceptional leadership, communication and time management skills.
- Experience working within a national park would be an asset.
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Business Administration or other relevant discipline.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume to:
Director, Executive & Professional Search
Email: [email protected]
Although we appreciate all expressions of interest, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.