Professional Ski Patrol
Castle Mountain Resort is currently looking for applicants to fill entry level (P1) and mid-level (P2) positions for the 2020/21 Winter season. Castle Mountain is a small, community resort with a big mountain feel. We are a hard-working team in an extraordinary environment. CMR's Ski Patrol provides an unmatched opportunity to train and prepare for future careers in the avalanche industry. Come be part of our small team!
Benefits of working at Castle Mountain Resort include:
- Exposure or involvement in all aspects of the Mountain Safety department
- Mentorship in the snow safety industry
- Room for advancement
- Paid training in November
- Pro purchase opportunities
- Equipment allowance and training stipends
- 50% discount on spouse passes available in first year, 100% on second year of return.
Duties for P1 Patrollers include, but are not limited to:
- Providing on-hill rescue and first aid
- Acting as a Team Member during avalanche control
- Acting as a Team Member during lift evacuations
- Acting as a Team Member during avalanche rescue
- Identifying and mitigating hazards on hill
- Performing trail maintenance, as required
- Other duties, as required
The ideal candidate will have the following credentials, and should have the following characteristics:
- CAA ITP Level 1
- An advanced level first aid ticket (70+ hours; Industry, Pre-hospital, or Wilderness)
- A valid CPR-HCP level (re-certification provided during staff training)
- Strong skiing ability and capable of skiing up to 40º slopes in icy conditions
- Physically fit and able to ski with heavy loads (15+ kgs)
- Comfortable working in challenging weather and big mountain conditions
- Strong team member able to take direction
- Trustworthy and capable of working unsupervised
- Professional, with a high value on customer service
- Recreational mountain pursuits, such as rock climbing, and ski touring, are considered assets
- Rope handling skills are considered an asset
Pro Pricing is available, but successful candidates will be expected to provide their own:
- Shovel, probe, and 3-antenna digital beacon
- Lightweight harness (or webbing), locking carabiner, and 30m rappel cord
- Snow study kit
- Skis, poles, boots
- Helmet and goggles
- Alpine touring or telemark gear, is an asset, but not required
Castle Mountain’s Mountain Safety Department provides:
- Helly Hansen patrol jackets
- Helly Hansen patrol pants
Starting pay for an entry level Patroller (P1) is $16.00/hour and is commensurate with experience and certification. We are on a 5 on-2 off, 4 on-3 off schedule and a 9-hour workday. Overtime is paid for work outside of this.
Castle Mountain Resort, end of Highway 774, MD of Pincher Creek Alberta. This is a remote location. Limited Staff Accommodation is available on hill.
Period of Employment:
Tentative start date is early November 2020 with an end date in early April 2021. Please note this is a seasonal position.
Successful applicants will be contacted in mid-August to arrange a Skype interview for late in the month.