Welcome to Pass Powderkeg Ski Area! Located the Crowsnest Pass, PPK is a not for profit, municipal facility focused on creating affordable recreation for families within the area and throughout Alberta.
Our staff make up the heart of our organization and help bring our mission to life. They jump to go the extra mile and work as a team to make PPK a fun place to be. We look for people who have a positive attitude, a passion for skiing and snowboarding and an interest in providing the best experience to our guests.
Our ski season runs from mid-November to late March, with our days of operation being Wednesday through Sunday (7 days a week during holiday weeks). Our season requires flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
The Risk Management Supervisor will supervise the snow patrol department, assist in risk mitigation for staff and guests, coordinate the waiver program, work with staff to ensure adherence to the occupational health and safety program including policies and procedures, and assist with creating a safe outdoor environment for both staff and guests to enjoy.
Duties and Requirements:
- Work to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of guests and staff by ensuring compliance with the health and safety program and all applicable legislation.
- Supervise and schedule snow patrol staff
- Participate in the ongoing development of the emergency procedures and other components of the health and safety programs
- Manage training for patrol and other staff as needed
- Mark hazards, fences and other obstacles appropriately based on standards, traffic requirements and needs.
- Manage first aid supply inventory for guest and staff usage
- Attend joint occupational health and safety meetings
- Oversee incident investigations
- Monitor and report trail and weather conditions and advise on lift/run closures
- Act as first responder as required in emergency situations
- Supervise guest care during first aid calls
- Provide ongoing communication between shifts, with supervisors and with staff. Ensure all methods of communication are correct and updated regularly
- Escalate any safety concerns to Operations Manager
- Participate in search and rescue activities and take leadership role if required
- Issue warnings to and/or revoke passes from reckless or irresponsible guests as necessary.
- Maintain required records, reports and documentation necessary as part of the due diligence process.
- Assist in WCB claims for ski area staff
- Create daily tool box meeting agendas and offer ideas for discussion topics for staff safety
- Promote safe skiing/snowboarding and work practices for staff
- Promote safe skiing/snowboarding for guests
- Adhere to all policies, procedures and standards set by Pass Powderkeg manuals, training and employment standards.
- Ensure compliance with industry standard waiver and liability program.
- Other duties as required by the Operations Manager required for the operation of a ski hill (see special requirements below)
- The following certifications/experience is mandatory:
1. OFA 3 or other 80 hour first aid course
2. Toboggan experience
3. Expert skiing/snowboarding skills
4. Ski Resort Operations Risk Management Course
5. Training in Occupational Health and Safety
The following certifications are an asset
1. Instructor certifications - CASI, CSIA
2. Coaching Certifications - CFSA, CSCF
3. Guiding certifications
a. Interpretive Guides Assoc, Outdoor Council Canada Etc.
4. CAA Operations Level 1 or higher
5. Post-secondary education in tourism, outdoor recreation, ski resort management/operations, or health and safety would be an asset.
6. Parkscapers terrain park training.