SKI INSTRUCTOR, FULL TIME
Reports to: Inside Operations Manager & Rental Shop Supervisor
Hudson Bay Mountain Resort is a community focused ski resort located 20km west of Smithers in beautiful Northern British Columbia. In operation since 1969 Hudson Bay Mountain Resort offers over 300 acres of skiable terrain and over 500 meters of lift accessed vertical, offering a wide variety of terrain, for beginners, novice and advanced skiers and snowboarders.
Hudson Bay Mountain is looking for qualified, certified individuals to join our Snow School team for the 2019/2020 season.
Instructors must teach safe and fun lessons to a variety of ages and ability levels. They must teach and adhere to the Alpine Responsibility code at all times, maintain a professional attitude and represent HBMR’s values while carrying out their duties. Beyond teaching, instructors are also expected to help in the Rental Shop and Repair Shop, assembling rental equipment for guests before and after lessons, and doing small repairs to rental equipment. They will also be expected to shovel snow as a part of morning duties and help Ski Patrol with sweep at the end of the day.
- Arrive with staff van (or other transportation) before mountain operations start, in order to prepare for the day i.e. Shovel, arrange pre-sets, clean rental shop, participate in morning meeting etc.
- Attend “check ins”, ready to teach, at Snow School 15 minutes prior to each lesson time
- Teach for the full allotted lesson time
- Wear proper assigned uniform and name tag at all times
- Assist with Kids Kamp, which may include planning of the Kamp, riding the bus with participants, supervising lunch, and participating in arts & crafts
- Ensure all guests are aware of the Alpine Responsibility Code and are following it at all times
- Report any and all accidents/injuries during lessons to the Inside Operations Manager and Base 1 immediately
- Ensure rental forms are filled out properly completely before starting rental process
- Ensure Progress Cards are filled out completely and properly at the end of each school group lesson
- Assist guests with proper boot fitting and adjustment
- Ensure accurate ski/board selection, binding adjustment, pole measurements and helmet sizing
- Ensure knowledge of ski/board tune-ups and adjustments
- Maintains a good relationship with guests, while being courteous and professional
- Instructs guests in the correct use of rental equipment
- Notifies Inside Operations Manager and Rental Shop Supervisor if equipment is requiring repair or replacement
- Maintains the Snow School Staff room in a tidy and organized manner – washes dishes after they are used
- Maintains the Rental Shop and Repair Shop in clean & organized order
- Carries out related duties as assigned
- Fosters an atmosphere of safety and co-operation, and promotes positive teamwork in the Rental Shop as well as in all other HBMR locations
At minimum, a Level 1 instructor's certification as a ski instructor through the Canadian Ski Instructors Alliance (CSIA) or foreign equivalent
Previous experience in ski instruction is preferred; a condition of employment is a criminal background check.
Contract length: 3 months
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $14.00 to $16.00 /hour