Title: Probationary Ski Patroller
Reports To: Ski Patrol Supervisor & Assistant Ski Patrol Supervisor
This is a ski patroller in the first 90 calendar days of work. This probationary period may be extended past 90 days if performance requirements are not met.
The primary goal of these employees is to learn and demonstrate all the tasks and skills required to function as an independent ski patroller.
The incumbent should expect to be working outside in any, all and sometimes adverse weather conditions.
This is a full-time seasonal role within the Safety Operations Department. This position has a compressed schedule/two-week rotating cycle: Nine (9) hours per day (operating season), eight (8) hours per day (non-operating season).
- Learn and demonstrate the expected tasks and skills required to function as an independent ski patroller
- Provide on-hill rescue and first aid
- Act as a Team Member during lift evacuations
- Act as a Team Member during avalanche rescue
- Identify and mitigate hazards on hill
- Perform trail maintenance, as required
- Identify and address safety concerns pertaining to staff and guests. Ensure supervisors are made aware of residual risks of concern
- Work in a safe and efficient manner as a member of the Safety Operations team
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Respect and adhere to the company’s policies and procedures as set in the “Corporate Policies”, “Employee Handbook” and “Safety Operations Training Manuals”.
- Strong skiing ability in all mountainous conditions
- Physically fit and able to ski with heavy loads (25+ kgs)
- 80 hour advanced First Aid course or higher
- CPR current certification. Primary care paramedic or advanced care paramedic (preferred) with Alberta College of Paramedics accreditation
- Avalanche Skills Training Course Level 1 or higher level of avalanche training (preferred)
- Have a vulnerable persons record check on file with Marmot Basin Human resources.
- Have a criminal record check and application letter to handle high power explosives.
- Rope rescue training/certification is an asset
- Grade 5 Driver’s license.
- Successfully complete the 90-day probationary period
- Demonstrate familiarity with all sections of Marmot Basin’s ski patrol manual
- Learn Marmot Basin first aid protocols/algorithms
- Successfully complete the Marmot Basin First aid refresher
- Learn Marmot Basin’s procedures and protocols
- Learn to use a rescue toboggan (10-23)
- Learn all patrol sweeps
- Become familiar and proficient with Marmot Basin radio protocol
- Learn the basic skills associated with “Lift down procedures (10-30’s)” as well as manual and self-evacuation
- Become familiar with area coverage, accident (10-22) response, as well as equipment & personnel movement
- Become familiar with Avalanche Rescue Plan
- Become familiar with transceiver and other AvSar tool use
- Read and signed off on Marmot Basin’s Employee Handbook
- Read and signed off on the Safety Operations Work Hazard Assessment
- Maintain training checklist(s).
- Professional deportment with excellent customer service skills: experience dealing with all on-hill patrons
- Demonstrated temperament and disposition for highly stressful situations, i.e. administering first aid, triage situations, with guests, and explosives
- Able to ski in all types of mountain terrain in varying conditions.
- Strong team member, able to take direction
- Trustworthy and capable of working unsupervised
- Recreational mountain pursuits, such as rock climbing, and ski touring, are considered assets.
Employees in this position are responsible for providing the following tools: Skis, simple sit harness, triple action locking carabiner, three antenna digital transceiver, avalanche probe, avalanche shovel, black ski pants as well as other sundry items. An annual equipment allowance is provided.
All employees in this position are required to:
- Have completed the Marmot Basin and safety operations ski skill assessment and have a copy on file
- Have completed a boot binding test, for all work skis, performed by Marmot Basin rental repair and have it on file.
Questions: [email protected]
Apply to: [email protected] Put SKI PATROLLER in the subject line with a cover letter and resume.