Job Title: Snowmaker
Location: North Vancouver
Department: Mountain Operations
Reports to: Supervisor, Snowmaking
Role Status: Full time – Seasonal – Hourly
Grouse Mountain offers a challenging and enjoyable work environment with a world of career opportunity. Our team is dedicated to Grouse Mountain's renowned excellence and its continued growth as Vancouver's premier mountain resort. In exchange for employee excellence, we offer a professional atmosphere, fantastic growth opportunities, unlimited outdoor recreation (including skiing and snowboarding) an inspiring setting and many unique employee privileges.
Scope of the job:
As a Snowmaker, you are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the mountain’s snowmaking equipment. As part of the Mountain Operation’s team, Snowmakers inspect and maintain the snowmaking plant machinery and infrastructure, work towards service level objectives and department goals, and are expected to deliver a safe and exceptional experience for all mountain guests.
- Coordinate with Pump and Compressor plant to ensure safe and efficient operation of snowmaking equipment.
- Regularly inspect and perform scheduled or unscheduled maintenance on snowmaking plant machinery or infrastructure.
- Contribute to team effort by assuming responsibility for the cleanliness of the resort and safety of guests and employees; participating in safety meetings; accepting diverse assignments; maintaining a friendly and positive attitude and demeanor in all internal and external interactions.
- Meet service level objectives and department goals as set forth by Snowmaking Manager and Senior Staff.
- Keep up to date on snowmaking technology and processes.
- Snow cat and Snowmobile operation required.
- All other duties as assigned
This position reports directly to the Snowmaking Supervisor with no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Proficient understanding of the operation of Air/ Water, Fan, and Automated snowmaking equipment.
- High school diploma or trades certification; or two to three years related experience in electrical and/or mechanical fields.
- Ability to handle the physical aspect of on the hill snowmaking duties as needed.
- Ability to handle the physical aspect of the summer trail maintenance duties as needed.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate effectively in a professional manner. Basic math skills are required.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Ability to solve practical problems in all conditions.
- Flexible work schedule to cope with unplanned changes due to weather, temperatures, and equipment.
- Valid driver's license. Must be able to obtain resort certification on any necessary equipment.
- Snowmakers perform most of their duties outdoors and may work in all different kinds of weather conditions.
- Hours of operation are weather dependent. Due to the nature of the business, this position requires flexibility in terms of your work schedule. A variety of work schedules may include rotation of shifts, graveyards shifts, day/evening shifts, and weekends and statutory holidays.
- Shifts require standing for long periods of time, lifting, twisting, shoveling, and other forms of manual tasks.