May 18, 2017 Newsletter
49th Annual Conference wrapped up
Thank you to everyone who was involved in the 2017 CWSAA Spring Conference. We hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.
Check out some great photos of this year’s conference!
Stay tuned the 2018 conference will be announced soon.
Congratulations to the 2017 CWSAA Awards Recipients:
- Don Murray (Ecosign Mountain Resort Planners Ltd), the recipient of the 2017 Jimmie Spencer Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Stuart McLaughlin (Grouse Mountain Resorts), the recipient of the 2017 Jim Marshall Leadership Award.
- Ryan Stimming (Panorama Mountain Resort), the 2017 recipient of the Lars Fossberg Excellence Award.
Read the News Release.
Selkik college recognized CWSAA’s Chair, Steve Paccagnan with the Distinguished Alumnus honour to recognize his excellence in advancing outdoor recreation in Canada. Steve Paccagnan graduated from Selkirk College’s Ski Resort Operations & Management Program (SROAM) in 1988, and has made a significant impact in the ski industry for the past three decades. Read more.
CWSAA’s very own Christopher Nicolson was awarded an NSAA Sammy Award last week. Christopher was one of three individuals who received this year’s award. The other recipients were Amy Ohran, President and General Manager of Boreal Mountain Resort, Woodward Tahoe, and Soda Springs Resort and Ethan Mueller Vice President of Operations for Triple Peaks.
The 2017 meeting of the Association of Ski Defence Attorneys was held this year in Park City, Utah. During this meeting James D. Miles, Q.C., of Miles Davison LLP, Calgary, was the presentated the 2017 Sam DeGonge award by his law partner, Todd Lee, for his very significant contribution to the defence of ski areas in Western Canada and his exceptional contribution to the sport of skiing in Canada. Read More.
The passing of Mark McFadden was felt throughout the ski industry. To support the McFadden family, ski areas operators, suppliers and individuals came forth with contributions which totaled over $12,000. This included the auctioning of two Whistler Blackcomb chairs (thank you to Wayne Wiltse & Laird Brown for donating the chairs), and cash donations. Thank you to everyone that contributed, and especially Pat Boyle for co-ordinating. One of the chairs will reside at Kicking Horse in memory of Mark.
The donations will be presented in person by Donald Jones of Maintenance Desktop Solutions, a former colleague and family friend of Mark’s.
Alberta: Capital Investment Tax Credit
As part of the Alberta Jobs Plan, the Alberta government has invested $70 million in a Capital Investment Tax Credit (CITC) for manufacturing, processing and tourism infrastructure that will spur economic diversification and job creation. The CITC is a 2-year program that provides a non-refundable tax credit valued at 10% of a corporation’s eligible capital expenditures, up to $5 million. The first of three intake periods passed in February 2017. The second and third intake dates have not yet been announced, but the attached link and guidelines can be used to start preparing applications. Contact: [email protected]
Planning and funding applications are currently in development for co-operative marketing programs in BC and Alberta. If you would like more information about participating in these programs, please contact Cynthia Thomas [email protected].
Get to know your 2017 CWSAA Board of Directors
Back row (left to right): Eddie Wood, Stewart Laver, Patric Maloney, Jason Paterson, Andy Cohen, Shawn Balog, Debbie Muirhead, Andre Quenneville, Lawrence Blouin
Front row (left to right): Christopher Nicolson, Steve Paccagnan, Thierry Keable, Peter Nixon
Absent: Robert Kennedy (ex-officio)
Selkirk Tangiers Heli Skiing and Revelstoke Mountain Resort have become certified with the Certificate of Recognition (COR) Program by go2HR. The COR program is an audit-based incentive program that rewards employers for going beyond the legal requirements for health and safety in the workplace.
- Selkirk Tangiers Heli Skiing becomes the first company in the HeliCat industry to receive their certification. Click here for the full press release.
- Revelstoke Mountain Resort is the most recent ski resort to be COR certified. See full press release here.
Congratulations to the two companies for achieving and setting high standards in occupational health and safety in the industry!
Ski industry veteran Mike Duggan is leading a new group, Apex Mountain Resorts Partnership Ltd., that has purchased all the outstanding shares of Apex Mountain and has taken over operations effective immediately. All senior management team are being retained and staying on with the new resort company. Read the News Release.
NSAA President Michael Berry presided over his last NSAA conference as President in Scottsdale, Arizona, as he will retire later this year. NSAA recognised Michael with its Lifetime Achievement Award. Michael and Nate Fristoe of RRC Associates combined efforts to present Michael’s commentary on the future of the ski industry in front of 800 delegates.
Sid Roslund, NSAA Technical Director, started working at NSAA in 1992. As part of his responsibilities, he is the architect of the Rocky Mountain Lift Association conference held this year in Grand Junction, Colorado. Sid retires later this year.
In the News
Buy, Sell, Trade
- Looking for a cross country grooming machine in the South Okanagan. Please contact: Claudette Chabot(250) 485-8954 [email protected]
- Seeking Used Snow Guns: Hart Highlands Winter Club is a small community ski hill located in Prince George, BC and is looking to put in a snow making system. We require enough capacity to make snow on about 9 acres. The development can be phased if required. The hill caters to the new young skiers and is serviced by 2 platter lifts. We are interested in purchasing between 1 and 3 used snow guns. If you have any surplus equipment available please contact Pat Bell at [email protected].
- June 21-23, 2017 – NSAA Downhill Bike Park Summit, Northstar California
- Sept 27 – 28, 2017 – HeliCat Canada Fall Meeting, Sun Peaks, BC
- Sept 28-29, 2017 – BC-Yukon CWSAA Fall Division Meeting, Sun Peaks – hotel & event info
- October 3-4, 2017 – ASM CWSAA Fall Division Meeting, Canyon Ski Resort, Red Deer AB – hotel & event info
- October 30, 2017- SSAOA Fall meeting, Asessippi, Manitoba