September 7, 2017 Newsletter
Five reasons to attend this year’s Fall Meetings
- New ASM 2-half day format – This year the meeting will include an afternoon session on Tuesday Oct 3 and a morning session on Wednesday Oct 4. The new format will allow many participants to travel to Red Deer Tuesday morning, and home again on Wednesday.
- Collaboration – The BC-Yukon meeting was coordinated with HeliCat Canada. The HeliCat meeting will be Wednesday Sept 27, a combined meeting Sept 28 and CWSAA specific meeting on Sept 29.
- Connect – If you have never attended an industry meeting or conference, don’t miss out. These events are fantastic opportunities to share ideas, learn and connect with your peers. While the sessions are designed to share relevant topics, some of the best sharing happens during the social time!
- New risk management trends you need to know.
- Connect with Government officials.
Alberta employment standards changes
As of January 1, 2018, the Alberta government changes to employment standards will take effect. CWSAA, many ski areas and others within the tourism industry expressed concerns in the spring to the government related to the rapid process and the challenge for industry to incorporate drastic change. CWSAA requested a more moderate pace of review and implementation especially at a time of economic hardship in the province. The government has gone ahead with changes including compassionate care leave and maternity/parental leave, as well as compressed work weeks, overtime banking, general holiday pay, terminations, layoffs and youth employment among others. See full details here. An update and work session on the topic is scheduled at the ASM meeting.
The sixth annual BC Family Day will be February 12, 2018. Since its inception, BC Ski Resorts have provided great offers (typically 50% off day tickets) to BC Residents to encourage participation in Snow Sports on this provincial holiday. This is an important initiative for our industry to work together to support the timing of this holiday and how it’s placement drives significant benefits for BC Destination Ski Resorts, BC tourism and BC skiers.
Please advise Cynthia Thomas [email protected] by Oct 16, 2017 if your ski area will participate in a 2018 BC Family Day offer.
Digital & Ski Marketing Webinar
Join Jim Barr (aka Doc Pow) of SnowSeekers and Cynthia Thomas of the CWSAA for a 45 min digital and marketing check-in.
Tuesday Sept 12 noon MST/11am PST. Click here on Sept 12 to connect to the GoToMeeting. If you have any questions about the webinar or how to participate, contact Cynthia.
Learn what you need to be doing in the pre-season, to ensure marketing success this winter. What tips and adjustments could you make this season to your communications and marketing approach that will effect your bottom line in a good way.
All Ski Areas Matter is a not for profit initiative aimed at raising the marketing profile of small ski areas in Canada. Irina Smolina and some of her classmates from the Selkirk SROAM program developed the program last year, and have now launched some easy to use tools. The website provides access to a wide selection of marketing templates that they will customize for your use (your logo, colours, website, specific information etc) – such as the one shown here.
Temporary Foreign Workers
Service Canada has asked CWSAA to remind ski areas of the new recruitment requirements (posted July 2017) that came into effect August 28, 2017.
BC Wildfires – Economic Impact Survey
Regional destination marketing organizations are seeking information on the economic impact of the current wildfire situation on tourism businesses. Your input provides the provincial government with a comprehensive overview of the effects on businesses in both directly affected and unaffected areas. Please take a few minutes to complete the survey.
Toronto Schools Activities Directory
The Toronto School Board will soon be launching a School Activities Directory that will provide teachers with a list of pre-qualified and approved vendors for excursions. If your ski area is looking to attract Toronto School Trips, check this out for more information or to apply.
Crews at RED Mountain Resort have been busy this summer with some major facility upgrades, not to mention RED’s new ownership initiative, also recently went live.
The new Josie Hotel, an independently-owned boutique hotel at the base of RED is slated for a partial opening January 2018. On-mountain Paradise Lodge is getting a full facelift, including a new kitchen, new washrooms and nearly 50% more seating . The outdoor deck will be doubling in size.
Plus, they’re increasing the day parking area by approximately 200 spaces and expanding facilities for high performance rentals doubling the ski and snowboard fleet.
CWSAA was in Alberta last week visiting Ski Areas and attending government meetings. These are just some of the places & faces we saw along the way…
There are many FREE services and benefits that are available to CWSAA members. Here are a few reminders:
- CWSAA Job Posting Board – This is CWSAA’s most viewed page! Take advantage of this great opportunity to get the word out about your current openings.
- Classifieds – This newly updated listing service provides an opportunity buy, sell or trade items. Please note, this feature is not intended for personal equipment sales (ie it’s not a used ski swap!).
- Associate Advertising – create your digital ad and link to your website.
- Safety Signage – Did you know that adhesive signs might not adhere in cold weather? Now is a great time to review and update your signage! Submit your order, and we can ship it to you (you pay shipping costs), or we can also bring your order to the Fall Division Meetings to save your shipping costs.
- Sept 27-28, 2017 – HeliCat Canada Fall Meeting, Sun Peaks, BC
- Sept 28-29, 2017 – BC-Yukon CWSAA Fall Division Meeting, Sun Peaks – hotel & event info
- October 3-4, 2017 – ASM CWSAA Fall Division Meeting, Canyon Ski Resort, Red Deer AB – hotel & event info
- October 30, 2017- SSAOA Fall meeting, Asessippi, Manitoba
- April 18-20, 2018 – Mountain Planet International Mountain Development Fair, Grenoble France
- April 24-26, 2018 – CWSAA 50th Spring Conference & Trade Show, Lake Louise AB
- April 24 – 26, 2018 – PNSAA, Bend OR
- April 30, 2018 – HeliCat Canada Spring Meeting, Penticton BC
- May 3-6, 2018 – NSAA National Convention, Florida
- May 7 -10 , 2018 – RMLA, Grand Junction CO
The Canada West Way
Check out some of our latest blog posts: