CWSAA is a registered not-for-profit society that is guided through bylaws and a Board of Directors that are voted by the members. The Board sets the strategic priorities, policies, and budgets for the association, and provides oversight to ensure its strong health. In the case of CWSAA, the organisation also relies heavily on individuals to serve on committees that help lead our industry. These range from ad hoc advisory working groups that shape the content of the spring conference, to standing committees like Risk & Safety, chaired by Ryan Stimming, that drill into topics and make recommendations for the organisation.
The Canada West Board of Directors met in mid January in Nelson, BC. Many Board meetings are odd hour conference calls or four wall meetings pouring though policies, reports, and financials. However, thanks to HeliCat Division Chair Patric Maloney, the day and a half indoor meeting last month was complemented with a cat skiing opportunity at Valhalla Powdercats. Patric’s kind invite was eagerly embraced.
CWSAA has a total of 12 voting directors. Four directors are elected by the Alberta Saskatchewan & Manitoba (ASM) ski areas, and four from the BC Yukon (BCY) ski areas. And four additional directors are elected to their specific positions. The Board is joined by two other non-voting positions: an ex-officio legal representative, and the President. The Directors serve the Board in a volunteer capacity. Our industry directly benefits from the time and expertise of these volunteers. Don’t be shy to thank them for their service at the next opportunity.
- Steve Paccagnan, Board Chair, President & CEO, Panorama Mountain Resort
- Andre Quenneville, ASM Division Chair, General Manager, Mt. Norquay
- Shawn Balog, General Manager, Snow Valley
- Jason Paterson, Board Treasurer, VP, Operations, Marmot Basin
- Lawrence Blouin, General Manager, Table Mountain
- Andy Cohen, BCY Division Chair, General Manager, Fernie Alpine Resort / RCR
- Thierry Keable, General Counsel & Corp Secretary, Whistler Blackcomb
- Peter Nixon, Manager, Real Estate, Sun Peaks Resort
- Eddie Wood, President & General Manager, Mt. Seymour Resorts
- Debbie Muirhead, Associate Member Director, Owner, Inter-Mtn. Testing & Inter-Mtn. Enterprises
- Patric Maloney, Helicopter-Cat Skiing Director, Owner & Lead Guide, Snowater Heli Skiing & Valhalla Powdercats
- Stewart Laver, Director at Large, Director, Ski & Board School, Sunshine Village
- Robert Kennedy, Ex officio