Discover, Develop, and Excel with WinSport:
Working with WinSport means you will be part of creating one of the most unique winter sport institutes in the world. You will be rubbing shoulders with athletes of all levels and disciplines, and you will be working in a world-class facility that showcases exceptional services to support our guests in training and maintaining an active lifestyle. You will thrive and be supported as you discover, develop and excel in your role at WinSport.
What the role is all about:
As a Wilderness Explorers and Nature Adventure Summer Camp Instructor (formerly Into the Wild Instructor), you will provide a positive, memorable, and safe experience for all participants while leading them on their child-led adventure.
As a child-led instructor you are responsible for guiding play, leaning into campers interested, creating activities aligned to those interests, lead games, and ask questions that explore each child’s interests. You will be responsible for facilitating the group through various activities, guiding them to self-discovery in the outdoors.
This position is required to work from June 6, 2022 to September 2, 2022.
Camp Program Links
- Create engaging outdoor based experience for up to 8 participants aged 4-8.
- Wilderness Explorers instructor lead up to 6 participants, Nature Adventure Instructors lead up to 8 participants
- Lead unstructured programming with an emphasis on the natural world
- Supervise and ensure the safety of participants during camp and monitoring their health and welfare
- Instill confidence, appropriate risk taking, and a sense of wonder and exploration
- Promote each child’s curiosity through provocations, intentional lessons and guided learning
- Supervise and ensure participants safe use of climbing trees, fires, stoves, and tools such as peelers, shovels, spades, hammers, nails, hand-drills, and water/mud play
- Keep an accurate attendance record of all participants
- Communicate effectively with other staff, parents and participants
- Provide daily leadership and direction to volunteers
- Demonstrate a safe work practice at all times by adhering to all WinSport safety policy and procedures and ensuring one’s own safety is preserved along with the safety of co-workers, direct reports and WinSport guests
- Other duties as assigned
- Currently studying or have a post-secondary education in Early Childhood Education, Education, Applied Eco Tourism and Outdoor Leadership, Education, Kinesiology, Sport Administration, or related programs is considered an asset.
- Current First Aid and CPR C required
- Comfortable leading and guiding play outdoors
- Experience and passion in Education (specifically with ages 3-8)
- Experience working and creating lessons plans for the outdoors
- Experience in outdoor activities and/or pursuits like fishing, hiking, rock climbing, etc
- Ability to work outside for long periods of time in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to walk or run 10,000 – 15,000 steps a day on a variety of terrain (grass, mud, snow, concrete, slopes and around trees)
- The job is frequently expected to lift, carry, push or pull objects and equipment up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work at lower levels while kneeling, squatting, and/or crouching for extended periods
- Constant use of hands including but not limited to forceful gripping, catching, throwing and tool use.
- Maintain a high level of energy throughout the day
What We Can Offer You:
If an unforgettable experience and working alongside an amazing team weren’t enough for you, as a member of the WinSport team you also receive the added benefits of enjoying a free park passes, reciprocals at other ski resorts, food, beverage, retail and program discounts, along with access to our Performance Training Center.
To apply for this job please visit www.winsport.ca.