Discover, Develop, and Excel with WinSport:
Working with WinSport means you will be part of creating one of the most unique winter sport institutes in the world. You will be rubbing shoulders with athletes of all levels and disciplines, and you will be working in a world-class facility that showcases exceptional services to support our guests in training and maintaining an active lifestyle. You will thrive and be supported as you discover, develop and excel in your role at WinSport.
What the role is all about:
As the head Freestyle Snowboard Coach, you are a leader in providing young athletes with a positive, challenging, and safe training environment. You will work with your athletes to prepare them for a Provincial or Jr National level of competition.
You are responsible for creating and guiding athletes through a training plan preparing them for their upcoming events. The head coach maintains consistent communication with parents and athletes throughout the season with the support of the Sport Program Lead. This role requires you to work closely with management to confirm which competitions the athletes will be attending. You are a key player in planning and getting organized for these events. The head coach reports to the Program lead of Sport and works alongside the seasonal leadership team.
Your athletes will refine their technical understanding of the sport while building physical and mental resiliency. You will facilitate an environment where your athletes will develop athleticism, confidence, respect, and self-discipline. You are responsible for ensuring that your athletes are practicing safe behavior, staying focused on training, and always representing Winsport professionally.
- Develop a group of athletes in a positive, safe, and freestyle-centered learning environment.
- Provide professional, world class, technical knowledge in Freestyle Snowboarding.
- Ensure your athletes are kept safe by managing your group effectively and providing a professional standard of duty of care.
- Understand the LTAD and Sport for Life sport development models and how it applies to the group you are coaching.
- Develop YTP for competitive teams as well as developing a seasonal structure of programming for our recreational club programs.
- Being a primary contributor to toolbox discussions – facilitating meaningful topics of discussion on important elements of coaching.
- Actively working with other coaches to build an effective coaching system.
- Mentor the snowboard coach team.
- Facilitating staff training sessions.
- Communicating to parents and athletes regularly through TeamSnap or email.
- Submitting event results and photos after competitions.
- Representing WinSport Clubs to a high standard by always modeling positive and professional behavior towards guests, staff, and other freestyle clubs.
- Encouraging parents and athletes to sign up for events – Events are a key part of the program/training plan at this level.
- Understanding the safety hazards/concerns within the work environment and ensuring all safety issues are reported to the appropriate individuals.
- Evaluate your athletes and administer a season training plan appropriate to their stage of development.
- Work alongside your peers to align programming and development of athletes.
- Maintaining a positive relationship with other freestyle clubs.
- Demonstrate a safe work practice at all times by adhering to all WinSport safety policy and procedures and ensuring one’s own safety is preserved along with the safety of co-workers, direct reports and WinSport guests
- Other duties as assigned
- NCCP Comp Dev certification is required. *
- AIR 1 & AIR 2 certified
- Up to date and current First Aid and CPR is required.
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
- Background in competitive Freestyle Snowboarding.
- Several years of experience coaching youth and developing Freestyle Snowboarding skills is preferred.
- Must bring an enthusiastic, positive, and professional attitude to work.
- Must be punctual, organized, and effective with time management.
- A willingness to learn and develop new skills as a Freestyle Snowboard coach.
- Availability to work shifts on evenings and weekends
- The job is frequently expected to lift, carry, push, or pull objects weighing more than 20 lbs. (without the assistance of mobile, powered equipment).
- Physical effort requiring manual dexterity is frequently required (i.e., between 25% and 75% of time on the job).
- Physical work pace and/or exertion requires somewhat rapid movement and/or effort to ‘keep up’ and brings on a moderate amount of physical fatigue.
What We Can Offer You:
If an unforgettable experience and working alongside an amazing team weren’t enough for you, as a member of the WinSport team you also receive the added benefits of enjoying a free park passes, reciprocals at other ski resorts, food, beverage, retail and program discounts, along with access to our Performance Training Center.
To apply for this job please visit www.winsport.ca.