May 17, 2018 Newsletter
2018 Spring Conference, by the numbers
- 67 ski areas participated in the conference & 93 associate businesses – an increase of 9 ski areas and 10 associates from 2017.
- Over 600 individuals participated in the conference – our largest ever!
- 55 sessions and courses were delivered over 3 days.
- 3945 meals were served.
- $6,040 was raised towards the small areas assistance fund from the small areas auction.
- 70% of attendees said the conference was better than other CWSAA conferences attended in the past.
- 75% of those surveyed plan to attend next year – most of those that aren’t sure are due to rotating staff opportunities or budget uncertainty.
Alberta, Saskatchewan & Manitoba Division Meeting
Sept 24 & 25, 2018 *note change of dates
Canyon Ski Area
Red Deer, Alberta
Group rate available at the Sheraton Red Deer Hotel starting at $129.00
Click here to book online or call 1.800.662.7197, Group Code is CI22AB.
Cut-off date for group block is August 24, 2018
BC-Yukon Division Meeting
Oct 1 & 2, 2018
Sun Peaks Grand Hotel & Conference Centre
Sun Peaks, BC
Group rate available at the Sun Peaks Grand Hotel starting at $111.00 plus taxes
Book online, group code is GKNCWSAA18
Cut-off date for group block is Sept 7, 2018
Let’s Talk Park’s, Canada
On May 9th, Federal Minister of the Environment Catherine McKenna released the long awaited Minister’s Round Table Report on the future of Canada’s National Parks. The ‘Let’s Talk Parks’ report identified key directives including a balance of ecological and economic considerations within Parks. Report highlights and full report can be viewed HERE.
Please sign up for CSC Programs By June 1!
The CSC needs each ski area to confirm participation for the 2018/19 season for each of the 3 national programs:
- Grade 4&5 SnowPass
- Never Ever Days
- Canadian Lift Pass
There is a NEW online form that is easy to complete, to pledge your participation in these programs. Further information on the programs, and the pledge form can be found HERE. Please ensure you complete this pledge before June 1 to confirm your participation in any or all of these programs.
BC Coop Marketing Funding
Nordic, Helicopter and Cat skiing operations that wish to participate or find out more about the Destination BC Ski Marketing coop funding available, must contact Cynthia by May 20 to express interest. Participation forms will be circulated to existing partners and those that express interest, and pledges to participate must be submitted by May 27.
Contact: Cynthia Thomas, CWSAA: firstname.lastname@example.org
Temporary Foreign Worker Program Consultation
CWSAA, the CWSAA HR Committee Chair Alison Crick, and five other ski area representatives from Alberta and BC ensured a strong ski presence at a Temporary Foreign Worker program meeting hosted by Tourism HR Canada on May 11 in Richmond BC. The government has identified tourism as one of six sectors for detailed consultation for improvements. Consultation will be completed by June and recommendations are to be put in front of the Minister by September 2018. More Information
BC Job Vacancies Survey
Attn: BC ski areas and businesses
Please take 10 minutes to complete the following survey from the BC Chamber of Commerce. The survey will help identify labour market issues to drive change!
Complete the survey HERE.
GoFundMe: Lisa Korthals memorial bursary
A fund has been set up to create a living legacy to the memory of Lisa Korthals, a well known guide who passed away last winter. It is intended to create a bursary to be used by women to help them get a start in their Mechanized Ski Guiding career. This campaign is the first step in creating the bursary. View the GoFundMe page HERE.
BC Tourism Matters Week
Celebrate tourism in BC, May 27 – June 2 with #BCTourismMatters. Find out how you can help celebrate tourism in your community HERE.
Thank you to all the volunteers who have dedicated their time to support the development of industry initiatives. Several committees have began preparing for 2018/19.
- Safety & Risk Committee – Thank you to Kim Jones who takes on the role as the Chair of the Safety & Risk Management Committee. Many thanks to Ryan Stimming who has chaired this committee for many years.
- Marketing Committees – There are two marketing committees and those chairs have agreed to stay on for 2018/19. The BC Destination marketing committee is chaired by Tom Rosner (RCR). The Alberta Marketing Committee is co-chaired by Simon Moffatt (Norquay) and Derek Look (Rabbit Hill).
- Conference Committees (operations and business) are already meeting and debriefing on the conference. This committee will include lots of new volunteers identified during the conference. Anyone wishing to participate should contact the CWSAA office.
While the snow melts and we reflect on the season that was, many are beginning to look forward to summer operations and snow season of 2018/19. CWSAA is there to support all ski areas with many resources. Here is a reminder of some resources that may be helpful at this time of year:
- Job Postings – It’s free for members to post a job on the CWSAA!
- Signage – Summer is the time to install new safety signage. Did you know that adhesive signs will not adhere well in cold temperatures. Please login into the Member’s Only section and go to the Safety Signage page to review all available signs and order FREE signage from CWSAA (shipping costs are covered by ski areas).
- Suppliers – CWSAA Associate members offer a variety of products and services for the ski industry. Please check out the membership directory for a full list of CWSAA Members, contact information and the services they provide. Available for Download in the Member’s Only Section.
- Presentations – Many presentations from the Spring Conference are now on the Member’s Only site.
- Classifieds – If you’re replacing some equipment this summer, consider selling or donating it to another ski area.
- Questions? – We’re here to serve! Call the office with any questions, and we’ll do our best to find the answer or connect you with a knowledgeable member to discuss ideas. We love to hear from you – please let us know what’s new at your business!
HeliCat Canada & Canadian Avalanche Association
HeliCat Canada and the Canadian Avalanche Association (CAA) hosted their annual conferences in Penticton BC the week following CWSAA spring conference.
HeliCat Canada was pleased to introduce Ross Cloutier (right of photo) as their new executive director, replacing outgoing Ian Tomm.
Whistler Blackcomb’s Jan Tindle was recognized by CAA for her long service to the industry. Jan did not attend the meeting this year as she is enjoying her retirement as of this winter.
Fernie’s Mark Vesely, Lake Louise’s Rocket Miller, and many other ski areas share a strong presence within the Canadian Avalanche Association. CAA Executive Director Joe Obad is a driving force for CAA initiatives and has been a great partner with CWSAA.
Message from CSIA
As the season comes to an end, we would like to thank all ski resorts across the country for hosting CSIA programs and offering our members a discount on their lift tickets. By facilitating our members’ experience, you become part of their learning, their progression and ultimately their success!
Dean Prentice joined Mount Washington in April as the new General Manager. We asked Dean what he’s been up to during his first month at Mount Washington. “My first priority has been getting to know the staff and the various business operations,” says Dean. “I have also kept busy reviewing and developing both operational and capital plans for the coming fiscal year, and finalizing our summer product details.” Dean returns to the ski industry after recently managing Painter’s Lodge and April Point Resort & Spa, and previously held positions at Fairmont Hotspring Resort and Panorama Mountain Resort. See the Mount Washington News Release.
Recently, HeliCat Canada announced the appointment of their new Executive Director, Ross Cloutier. CWSAA is very excited to continue working together with HCC under Ross’ leadership. Read the Announcement.
Vern Schram has recently moved into the role of General Manager of Manning Park, following the retirement of Mike Barker. Vern has spent the past year-and-a-half, at Manning as the Resort Operations Manager. Read more about Vern and Manning Park in the Canada West Way.
Thank you to Arlene Keis of Go2HR for supporting the ski industry in Western Canada. We’re really fortunate to have her on our side!
Congratulations to Mt. Maichen in the Yukon, operated by the Watson Lake Ski Club, on it’s 50th anniversary this past season!
- May 22-24, 2018 – ORSA Spring Conference & Trade Show, Hockley Valley Ontario
- May 29-31, 2018 – ASSQ Spring Conference, Mont Tremblant Quebec
- Sept 24-25, 2018 – CWSAA ASM Fall Division Meeting, Canyon Ski Area, Red Deer Alberta
- Oct 1-2, 2018 – CWSAA BC-Yukon Fall Division Meeting, Sun Peaks BC
- Oct 28-29, 2018 – SSAOA, Springhill Winter Park MB
- April 23-25, 2019 -PNSAA, Wenatchee Washington
- April 24-26, 2019 – CWSAA 2019 Spring Conference, Whistler BC
- April 29-May 2, 2019 – NSAA 2019 National Convention & Tradeshow, San Diego CA
- May 6-9, 2019 – RMLA, Grand Junction CO
- May 8-10, 2019 – InterAlpin, Innsbruck Austria